Saturday, June 10, 2006

Spooky Sniper Training Film

While trolling around in a torrent tracking site looking for World Cup footage I came accross an oddity of a documentry, German Snipers - Der deutsche Scharfschütze 1944 (English-German) was a British trianing film put together from captured German training films. Here is the copy from the Pirate Bay listing.
Silent, motionless and deadly, German snipers lurked on the European battlefields of World War 2, hunting enemy sharpshooters, supporting assaults and laying diabolical traps on defense. Drawn from two German military training films made in 1944, this program provides fascinating views of tactics, weapons and camouflage techniques that are still viable today.
When I play Counter-Strike I hate the snipers. Because They are able to pick me off before I can use my spray and pray technique. However on the rare occasions when I can get nice clean kill it is more satistifying than all random hits from recconaisance by fire.

The photo is a Soviet sniper from an photography dealer. I remember coming accross another exhibit of Soviet photos from Stalingrad. In one case the photographer never changed the film, no film and/or didn't know how. So in the entire battle of Stalingrad he only took 20 frames.

No comments: